In 2008, we adopted a HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) Plan offering guidance and providing for proper and effective management of the company assets and personnel with respect to marine safety, security and environmental protection. Our commitment to the HSE program, in addition to seeking out best practices and procedures, has set a course enabling us to continue to strive for better, safer, more secure marine practices and preventive measures protecting our people and our environment.
ISNetworld and Avetta Auditing
Our commitment to safety and best management practice is evident through our involvement and membership in ISNetworld and Avetta Auditing. ISNetworld and Avetta are two of the lead contractor verification sites that evaluate all aspects of contractors’ Environmental, Health and Safety Programs for larger contracting clients. Avetta ensures that suppliers are prequalified to work in a safe and sustainable manner. ISNetworld is very similar in structure, but they use different grading systems. Matthews Brothers holds very similar ratings in both qualifying sites. In each of the two sites Matthews Brothers is in good standing reflecting a strong safety culture and program.
- Tug Captains all hold valid S. Coast Guard licenses properly endorsed for the capacity they serve.
- Crane Operators are certified by Crane Institute of America crane certification program as required by OSHA. All personnel hold Rigging Training cards.
- All personnel hold an OSHA 30-Hr for Construction card, or are in training and required to receive their OSHA 30-Hr within one year of hire.
- All personnel hold current First Aid and CPR certification and participate in an audited random drug testing program.
- All vessels are professionally maintained and meet or exceed US Coast Guard requirements. Furthermore all tugs hold current US Coast Guard Towing Vessel Inspection Certificates now required as a result of the new Subchapter M regulations.
- Dredge Barge MBI 05 is classed ABS A1, Ocean Service and inspected annually by American Bureau of Shipping.
We strive for better, safer, more secure marine practices and preventive measures protecting our people and our environment.